Pound Cake my mother made


As I may have mentioned before my family is originally from The Netherlands. In Holland my mother didn't have an oven so making cakes the traditional way wasn't an option. What she did have was called a Wonder Pan or pot. It was an aluminum pan shaped like a bundt pan with a vented hooded top. It was used for baking cakes on top of a gas stove.
She continued to make her Wonder Pan pound cake in the United States until she switched to an electric stove.
We have very fond memories of the cake which we frequently ate at mid afternoon tea time.
My son and I were talking about desserts and the cake came up. Remembering the aroma of it coming out of the oven and the wonderful texture and flavor made me crave it!

I found the recipe but there weren't any directions, just these ingredients:
  • 1 and 3/4 c. self rising flour
  • 2 and 3/4 sticks margarine
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 4 eggs (medium size) or 3 jumbo eggs
  • 1/4 c. milk
  • orange or lemon peel - grated
Since I don't use self rising flour I found these proportions for making your own:
For every 1 cup of flour add 1 1/2 t. baking powder and 1/2 t. salt.
I also replaced the margarine with butter and added some vanilla.

So here's my version of my mother's pound cake.

Ingredients
1 and 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 and 1/2 t. baking powder
3/4 t. salt
2 and 3/4 sticks butter or 22 T. (softened)
1 c. sugar
4 eggs (room temp)
1/4 c. milk
1 t. grated orange or lemon peel
1/2 t. vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 325°
Grease and flour a bundt pan.
Sift together the first 3 ingredients. Put aside.

Put the butter in a mixing bowl and cream with the sugar.
On low speed (or by hand) add the eggs one at a time til mixed thoroughly.
Slowly add the dry ingredients alternating with the milk.
Add the grated orange or lemon and the vanilla.

Pour into the bundt pan and bake for one hour at 325°

When it's done baking leave it in the pan for about 20 minutes. Remove the cake and place on a plate and let cool.

Optional icing
1 c. confectioners sugar
1/4 t. orange zest
1 and 1/2 T. orange juice

Mix together til smooth. Ice the cake when it's cool.


Enjoy!








Comments

Popular Posts